Check out this video for an overview of creating a VFD in the GVL platform.
You are a veterinarian at Swine Consulting Company. Your client Thompson Farms has two wean to finish sites each housing 2000 pigs. You’ve determined these pigs need 400 g/ton of chlortetracycline mixed in their feed for 14 days along with tiamulin hydrogen furmate. One site is located just outside of Newton, KS and the other near Lehigh, KS. Thompson Farms will be purchasing the medicated feed from Countryside Feed LLC in Hillsboro, KS. Before Thompson Farms can feed the chlortetracycline to the pigs, you will need to write a Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD). Write a VFD using the following information. You can create your own addresses for the owner and animal locations.
- Owner/Client: Thompson Farms - Newton, KS address
- Animal locations:
- Thompson Farms - Newton, KS
- Thompson Farms - Lehigh, KS
- To add this address as an additional location, select Actions and choose Add location to contact
- Feed distributor: Countryside Feed LLC - Hillsboro
- Species: Swine
- Headcount: 4000
- Drug: Pennchlor (Chlortetracycline)
- Production class: Swine
- Indication: Treatment of bacterial enteritis caused by Escherichia coli and Salmonella choleraesuis and bacterial pneumonia caused by Pasteurella multocida susceptible to
- chlortetracycline. (Pennchlor in combination with Denagard)
- Expiration date: 6 months from today’s date
- Dosage: 400 g/ton
- Duration: 14 days
- Combination drugs: This VFD authorizes the use of the VFD drug(s) cited in this order in THE FOLLOWING FDA-approved, conditionally approved, or indexed combination(s) in medicated feed that contains the VFD drug(s) as a component.
- Check the box for Denagard (tiamulin hydrogen furmate)
After entering the above information, click Preview & sign in the upper right corner and select Preview PDF. After previewing the VFD, sign the certificate by clicking Sign and entering your username and password. After signing, download the completed VFD by clicking Download PDF in the upper right corner of the VFD page.